Hair masks are a common sight in our beauty cabinets these days, but how do you know which one is for you, or how to use it.
Check out my top ten selection below for multiple concerns and pick the perfect mask for you.
- Coloured Hair – Chemically treating your hair can compromise the hydration levels and internal structure of your hair, this ironically can cause colour fade. To replenish your hair and help lock in your colour try Shu Uemura Color Lustre Masque. Apply to your hair for at least 5-10 minutes to lock in your colour, rehydrate, extend vibrancy, and provide immense shine.
- Long Hair – Long hair can be prone to breakage and split ends due to being over worked, and due to age, not your age…but your hair’s. Hair grows approximately an inch every 8 weeks, that equates to about 6 inches a year. So, you can well image if your hair is down your back that it’s been around a few years and seen it’s fair share of wear and tear. To help remedy weakened, long hair, and encourage healthy hair growth, Kerastase formulated Kerastase Resistance Masque Extentioniste aimed at restoring long hair to its former glory. It will repair and shield your hair from further damage, seal split ends to be less visible, soften your hair and increase manageability, and give you a natural shine. Leave in your hair for a minimum of 5 minutes before gently rinsing.
- Damage/Breakage – Step up, cult classic, Olaplex No.3 Hair Perfector suitable for all hair types this pre-shampoo treatment works to rebuild the disulphide bonds within your hair. It stops breakage in its tracks. Work on average 1/3 of a bottle into your unwashed hair, leave for a minimum of 10minutes, but, there is no such thing as leaving this one in too long. Sometimes I will keep it in overnight. For severely compromised hair use it alongside Olaplex Zero Intensive Bond Building Treatment.
- Hair Fall – Nioxin Night Denity Restore Overnight Treatment is rich in antioxidant to help prevent oxidation of the scalp and encourage healthier hair growth. It also works to thicken the actual individual hair strands, giving an all-over thicker appearance to your hair. It increases hair density and reduces fallout. Use nightly, massage in 2-4 drops, do not rinse.
- Sun Exposure – Not frequently a problem in Ireland you might think, but you would be surprised. Weathered hair appears dull, loses vibrancy and shine, and becomes more prone to breakage. A simple answer is ELEVEN Australia Miricle Hair Treatment, a leave in treatment that give UV protection, hydrates, repairs, protects from heat styling, improves manageability, adds shine and softness, and prevents chlorine and sun damage. Not too shabby for something that takes 3 seconds to apply and vastly enhances your hair. Suitable for all hair types.
- Vegan – Even if this one weren’t so close to my heart, I would still love it. Its natural fragrance and organic, simplistic, plant based formula, brings amazingly effective repair and hydration to all hair types. OWAY Color Protection Hair Mask gives the most beautiful shine, leaves zero residue, is so kind to the scalp and skin, and leaves your hair feeling like a dream. After shampooing, leave in your hair for 5-10 minutes and rinse well.
- Anti-frizz – For anti-frizz Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm is a sure fire way to help deeply hydrate your hair, fight frizz, restore movement and flow, and repair brittle tired hair. Rich and lush it intensely nourishes and moisturises each hair strand, to offer you maximum sleekness, control, and softness. Post shampoo mask and only takes 3-5 minutes to take effect.
- Fine hair – Just because your hair may be fine, does not mean it won’t need hydration. The key is to introduce lightweight hydration to restore good health and manageability to your hair. I suggest you try Kevin Murphy Angel Masque, this featherlight mask will nourish fine, coloured hair without making it lank and heavy. Apply a small amount after you shampoo, leave in for 5 minutes and rinse well. Your hair will be healthier, more voluminous, softer to the touch and fantastically shiny.
- Thick Hair – When it comes to thick hair regular masks can often fall short, and just not deliver on their hydration promises. Not with Redken All Soft Heavy Cream, it is rich, lush, deeply hydrating and helps to smoothen brittle, course hair. So, if it is intense, luxurious moisture your hair craves then look no further. After shampooing, leave your treatment in your hair for approximately 15mins, and rinse well. Use at least weekly for best results.
- Curly Hair – The new kid on the block when it comes to curls Kerastase Curl Manifesto Masque really delivers. Not only does it nourish your curls with rich, healing Manuka Honey, but it also hydrates your scalp, to improve scalp health and flexibility. It leaves your curls soft and silky. To use, leave in your hair for up to 30 minutes after you shampoo, and rinse thoroughly. Enjoy your super soft curls!
There is something out there for everyone, so don’t give up hope if you haven’t found your perfect match. You can always touch base with us here in Millies, and we’ll be happy to help.